Current:Home > InvestProsecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -BeyondProfit Compass
Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:08:14
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The local prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Virtual valentine: People are turning to AI in search of emotional connections
- Travis Kelce says he shouldn’t have bumped Chiefs coach Andy Reid during the Super Bowl
- How Gigi Hadid and Bradley Cooper Spent Their First Valentine's Day Together
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Jim Clyburn to step down from House Democratic leadership
- House Homeland chairman announces retirement a day after leading Mayorkas’ impeachment
- Beyoncé announces new album during 2024 Super Bowl after Verizon commercial hints at music drop
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- How Gigi Hadid and Bradley Cooper Spent Their First Valentine's Day Together
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Uber, Lyft drivers are striking at 10 US airports on Valentine's Day. Here's why.
- Skiier killed, 2 others hurt after falling about 1,000 feet in Alaska avalanche
- Rachel Dolezal fired from Arizona teaching job due to OnlyFans account
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Jon Stewart on why he's returning to The Daily Show and what to expect
- 3 South Carolina deputies arrested after allegedly making hoax phone calls about dead bodies
- How Taylor Swift, Kylie Jenner and More Are Celebrating Valentine’s Day 2024
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Real estate company CoStar bolts Washington, D.C., for Virginia
The Daily Money: Expect a smaller Social Security bump in 2025
Cyberattacks on hospitals are likely to increase, putting lives at risk, experts warn
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Disneyland performers seek to have union protections like other park employees
Real estate company CoStar bolts Washington, D.C., for Virginia
Four students were wounded in a drive-by shooting outside an Atlanta high school, officials say