Current:Home > reviewsCharles Langston:Rockets fired at U.S. Embassy in Iraq as Mideast violence keeps escalating -BeyondProfit Compass
Charles Langston:Rockets fired at U.S. Embassy in Iraq as Mideast violence keeps escalating
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:22:47
Baghdad — A rocket attack on Charles Langstonthe sprawling U.S. Embassy in Baghdad caused minor damage but no casualties Friday morning, U.S. and Iraqi officials said.
The attack is the first on the embassy located in the heavily fortified Green Zone of Iraq's capital to be confirmed since the beginning of the Israel-Hamas war. The Green Zone houses Iraqi government buildings and embassies on the west bank of the Tigris River.
Iran-backed militias in Iraq have claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks that targeted bases housing U.S. troops in Iraq and Syria since Israel declared war on Hamas two months ago. The U.S. military says 78 attacks have been carried out against U.S. facilities over the past weeks, of which 37 were in Iraq and 41 in Syria.
An Iraqi security official said 14 Katyusha rockets were fired Friday, of which some struck near one of the U.S. Embassy's gates while others fell in the river. The official said the rocket attack caused material damage but no casualties.
A U.S. military official said a multi-rocket attack was launched at American and coalition forces in the vicinity of the embassy complex and the Union III base, which houses offices of the U.S.-led coalition. The official added that no casualties and no damage to infrastructure were reported.
An embassy spokesperson said the U.S. Embassy was attacked by two salvos of rockets at approximately 4:15 a.m. local time.
"Assessments are ongoing, but there are no reported casualties on the embassy compound," the official said, adding that no specific group had claimed responsibility for firing the rockets as of Friday morning but early indications pointed to Iran-aligned militias.
"We again call on the government of Iraq, as we have done on many occasions, to do all in its power to protect diplomatic and Coalition partner personnel and facilities," the official said. "We reiterate that we reserve the right to self-defense and to protect our personnel anywhere in the world."
The three officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani said in a statement that "targeting diplomatic missions is something that cannot be justified." He called the attack an "insult to Iraq, its stability and security," and promised to "pursue the perpetratrors of the attack ...and bring them to justice."
Sudani came to power with the support of a coalition of Iran-backed parties. But he also wants continued good relations with the U.S. and has backed the ongoing presence of American troops in his country.
While no group claimed responsibility for the embassy attack, the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of Iran-backed militias, issued statements claiming separate attacks Friday on the al-Asad airbase in western Iraq, which is used by U.S. forces, and on a base located at the Conoco gas field in eastern Syria.
There are roughly 2,500 U.S. troops in Iraq and around 900 others in eastern Syria, on missions against ISIS. In both countries, Iran has militias loyal to Tehran.
In response to attacks against American troops, the U.S. has retaliated with airstrikes three times in Syria since Oct. 17, targeting weapons depots and other facilities linked directly to Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps and the militias. The U.S. also struck multiple sites in Iraq late last month after a militia group for the first time fired short-range ballistic missiles at U.S. forces at al Asad air base.
- In:
- Baghdad
- Iraq
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- AP Macro gets a makeover (Indicator favorite)
- California offshore wind promises a new gold rush while slashing emissions
- Charlie Sheen’s Daughter Sami Sheen Celebrates One Year Working on OnlyFans With New Photo
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Pete Davidson Charged With Reckless Driving for Crashing Into Beverly Hills House
- Brian Austin Green Slams Bad Father Label After Defending Megan Fox
- Exxon Touts Carbon Capture as a Climate Fix, but Uses It to Maximize Profit and Keep Oil Flowing
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Gavin Rossdale Reveals Why He and Ex Gwen Stefani Don't Co-Parent Their 3 Kids
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Warming Trends: Farming for City Dwellers, an Upbeat Climate Podcast and Soil Bacteria That May Outsmart Warming
- Vermont police officer, 19, killed in high-speed crash with suspect she was chasing
- A Lawsuit Challenges the Tennessee Valley Authority’s New Program of ‘Never-Ending’ Contracts
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Trump’s EPA Claimed ‘Success’ in Superfund Cleanups—But Climate Change Dangers Went Unaddressed
- Southern Cities’ Renewable Energy Push Could Be Stifled as Utility Locks Them Into Longer Contracts
- Watch the Moment Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker Revealed They're Expecting
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Southern Cities’ Renewable Energy Push Could Be Stifled as Utility Locks Them Into Longer Contracts
Tesla's stock lost over $700 billion in value. Elon Musk's Twitter deal didn't help
Long Island Medium Star Theresa Caputo’s Son Larry Caputo Jr. Marries Leah Munch in Italy
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
A Call for Massive Reinvestment Aims to Reverse Coal Country’s Rapid Decline
In Florida, Environmental Oversight Improves Under DeSantis, But Enforcement Issues Remain
Energy Regulator’s Order Could Boost Coal Over Renewables, Raising Costs for Consumers