Current:Home > ContactManhunt underway after subway rider fatally attacked on train in the Bronx -BeyondProfit Compass
Manhunt underway after subway rider fatally attacked on train in the Bronx
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 07:12:33
New York City police are searching for three suspects they say fatally attacked a man on a subway just before sunrise Friday.
Just after 5 a.m. ET, a New York Police Department spokesperson said, officers responded to a 911 call for an injured man at the East 182 Street and Grand Concourse Subway Station.
Arriving officers found a 45-year-old man suffering from a puncture wound to the torso, unconscious and unresponsive, the spokesperson told USA TODAY.
Responding paramedics took the victim to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The man's identity was being withheld pending family notification.
College student killing:Nursing student found dead at University of Georgia identified as Laken Riley
Man attacked on board southbound train
The attack took place in the Fordham Heights section of the Bronx, officials reported.
A motive in the attack was not immediatly known.
"Upon further investigation, it was determined that the male was injured on board a southbound D train that was approaching the station," police reported.
As of Friday afternoon no arrests had been made, police said, but officers were searching for three people in connection to the attack last seen wearing all black.
No further details about their description or the case were provided by police who said the case remained under investigation.
'We're going to catch these guys.'
The NYPD and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority were slated to provide an update in the case later on Friday.
"We're going to catch these guys," Mayor Eric Adams after the shooting, CBS New York reported. "When you have a case like this of a high-profile subway (attack), it just sends the wrong message."
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- States Are Using Social Cost of Carbon in Energy Decisions, Despite Trump’s Opposition
- Pregnant Claire Holt Shares Glowing Update on Baby No. 3
- Britney Spears Shares Mother-Son Pic Ahead of Kids' Potential Move to Hawaii With Kevin Federline
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Clean Energy Soared in the U.S. in 2017 Due to Economics, Policy and Technology
- Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
- World People’s Summit Calls for a Climate Justice Tribunal
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Pregnant Naomi Osaka Reveals the Sex of Her First Baby
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Judge signals Trump hush money case likely to stay in state court
- Trump Aims to Speed Pipeline Projects by Limiting State Environmental Reviews
- Five Years After Speaking Out on Climate Change, Pope Francis Sounds an Urgent Alarm
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Gulf Outsiders Little Understand What is Happening to People Inside
- American Idol Contestant Defends Katy Perry Against Bullying Accusations
- Is Trump Holding Congestion Pricing in New York City Hostage?
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Pools of Water Atop Sea Ice in the Arctic May Lead it to Melt Away Sooner Than Expected
Angela Bassett and Mel Brooks to receive honorary Oscars
RHOBH's Kyle Richards Shares Update on Kathy Hilton Feud After Recent Family Reunion
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Video: Covid-19 Will Be Just ‘One of Many’ New Infectious Diseases Spilling Over From Animals to Humans
Judge signals Trump hush money case likely to stay in state court
5,500 U.S. Schools Use Solar Power, and That’s Growing as Costs Fall, Study Shows