Current:Home > StocksTigers broadcaster Craig Monroe being investigated for alleged criminal sexual conduct -BeyondProfit Compass
Tigers broadcaster Craig Monroe being investigated for alleged criminal sexual conduct
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 07:39:45
Craig Monroe, a former baseball player with the Detroit Tigers and a current television and radio analyst covering the team, is the subject of a law enforcement investigation into alleged criminal sexual conduct in Florida, according to records obtained by the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network.
The news comes weeks after the Tigers and Bally Sports Detroit pulled Monroe from broadcasts following allegations of sexual assault posted to social media.
In a statement late Tuesday from a lawyer, Monroe denied the allegations.
Gabriella Ruiz, a spokesperson with the Charlotte County (Florida) Sheriff’s Office, confirmed authorities are looking into Monroe, but declined to provide additional details.
"This is an active investigation and anyone with information is asked to come forward," Ruiz said in an email Tuesday afternoon, declining to provide additional information.
All things Tigers: Latest Detroit Tigers news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
On Tuesday, the Free Press filed a request under Florida open records laws with the Sheriff's Office for documents pertaining to Monroe. The record provided is heavily redacted, but indicates on June 12 someone with the office spoke with a caller about an "alleged sexual crime" in Port Charlotte, Florida.
The report indicates the investigation description is an "alledge (sic) child sex crime."
Until recently, Monroe worked for Bally Sports Detroit as an analyst covering the Tigers. He was abruptly pulled from his job after a June 9 game and has not worked a telecast since.
Both the Tigers and Bally Sports confirmed removing him from their schedule, noting the misconduct allegations posted to social media.
"Bally Sports Detroit and the Tigers are aware of the social media allegations and take them seriously. As previously stated, Mr. Monroe has not been on the broadcast schedule and that will continue on an indefinite basis. We will have no further comment and any questions should be directed to Mr. Monroe," the network and team relayed in a joint statement.
The woman who posted the allegations said in at least one video she already approached police. The Free Press messaged with her Saturday through X, formerly Twitter, at which time she said she was consulting with her lawyer. The Free Press reached back out Tuesday, but had not yet heard back.
Michael Manley, a Flint lawyer for Monroe who has represented other former athletes, said in an emailed statement that his client "has no choice but to vehemently deny these claims."
“Craig Monroe takes allegations of this nature very seriously and would never commit or condone such despicable conduct,” Manley said in part of the statement, noting his client will cooperate with law enforcement.
“We trust that law enforcement will uncover the truth regarding her background and motivations.”
The allegations suggest Monroe repeatedly engaged in criminal sexual conduct starting when the woman was 12 and both lived in Florida. The woman who made the posts does not provide her full name, but does offer specific descriptions of alleged illegal conduct in both video and text formats.
Monroe, 47, played outfield for the Tigers from 2002 to 2007. He joined Bally Sports covering the Tigers in 2012.
Reach Dave Boucher at [email protected] and on X, previously Twitter, @Dave_Boucher1.
veryGood! (4496)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Reese Witherspoon responds to concerns over her eating snow: 'You only live once'
- ‘League of Legends’ developer Riot Games announces layoffs of 530 staff
- Naomi Campbell Rules Balmain's Runway With Dramatic Gold Face Accessory
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Naomi Campbell Rules Balmain's Runway With Dramatic Gold Face Accessory
- U.S. personnel wounded in missile attack on Iraq airbase by Iranian-backed rebels
- NYC joins a growing wave of local governments erasing residents' medical debt
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Costco brand added as illnesses rise in charcuterie meat Salmonella recall
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Caitlin Clark’s collision with a fan raises court-storming concerns. Will conferences respond?
- Heavy rainfall flooded encampment in Texas and prompted evacuation warnings in Southern California
- Oilers sign Corey Perry less than two months after Blackhawks terminated his contract
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Trade resumes as Pakistan and Afghanistan reopen Torkham border crossing after 10 days
- New study finds that multivitamins could help slow cognitive decline associated with aging
- US Supreme Court won’t overrule federal judges’ order to redraw Detroit legislative seats
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
New Hampshire investigating fake Biden robocall meant to discourage voters ahead of primary
Abortion rights supporters launch campaign for Maryland constitutional amendment
Tech CEO Sanjay Shah Dead at 56 After Freak Accident at Company Party
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Trump trial in E. Jean Carroll defamation case delayed because of sick juror
Dexter Scott King, son of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., dies of prostate cancer at age 62
Browns general manager Andrew Berry 'would have no problem having' Joe Flacco back