Current:Home > MyJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -BeyondProfit Compass
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 09:38:22
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (612)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Video shows bloodied Black man surrounded by officers during Florida traffic stop
- Group of scientists discover 400-pound stingray in New England waters
- Browns' Deshaun Watson out vs. Ravens; rookie Dorian Thompson-Robinson gets first start
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- At least 10 migrants are reported killed in a freight truck crash in southern Mexico
- Native Hawaiian neighborhood survived Maui fire. Lahaina locals praise its cultural significance
- Jimmy Carter turns 99 at home with Rosalynn and other family as tributes come from around the world
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Tim Wakefield, Red Sox World Series Champion Pitcher, Dead at 57
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- NASCAR Talladega playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for YellaWood 500
- Decades-long search for Florida mom's killer ends with arrest of son's childhood football coach
- Decades-long search for Florida mom's killer ends with arrest of son's childhood football coach
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- At least 13 people were killed at a nightclub fire in Spain’s southeastern city of Murcia
- Young Evangelicals fight climate change from inside the church: We can solve this crisis in multiple ways
- South Korean golfers Sungjae Im & Si Woo Kim team for win, exemption from military service
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Bill Ford on politicians getting involved in UAW strike: 'It doesn't help our company'
Illinois semitruck crash causes 5 fatalities and an ammonia leak evacuation for residents
Jrue Holiday being traded to Boston, AP source says, as Portland continues making moves
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Jrue Holiday being traded to Boston, AP source says, as Portland continues making moves
Why former Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald was at the Iowa-Michigan State game
Tim Wakefield, who revived his career and Red Sox trophy case with knuckleball, has died at 57