Current:Home > MyLouvre Museum in Paris was evacuated after a threat; France under high alert -BeyondProfit Compass
Louvre Museum in Paris was evacuated after a threat; France under high alert
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 07:39:53
The Louvre Museum and Versailles Palace evacuated visitors and staff Saturday after receiving bomb threats. The government has put France on high security alert after a fatal school stabbing by a suspected extremist.
The Louvre communication service said no one has been hurt and no incident has been reported. Paris police said officers searched the museum after it received written bomb threats.
The former royal palace at Versailles also received bomb threats, a national police spokesperson said. The palace and its sprawling gardens were being evacuated while police examine the area, the spokesperson said.
Alarms rang out through the Louvre, a vast space also in a former royal palace Paris overlooking the Seine River, when the evacuation was announced, and in the underground shopping center beneath its signature pyramid.
Police cordoned off the monument from all sides, and the underground access, as tourists and other visitors streamed out. Videos posted online showed people leaving, some hurriedly and some stopping to take photos, others apparently confused about what was happening.
On Saturday, the museum's website posted a statement that read: "For safety reasons the museum is closed. People who booked a ticket for today will be reimbursed. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding."
The French government raised the threat alert level and is deploying 7,000 troops to increase security after Friday's school attack. The government is also concerned about fallout in France from the war between Israel and Hamas.
The Louvre, home to masterpieces such as the Mona Lisa, welcomes between 30,000 and 40,000 visitors per day. Last year, the most famous smile in the world was briefly obscured when a man smeared cream cake over the Mona Lisa in what seems to have been a climate protest.
In 2017, a French soldier shot a man who attempted on Friday to enter the Louvre carrying two backpacks and wielding a machete.
- In:
- Paris
- The Louvre
veryGood! (5)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- DeSantis Recognizes the Threat Posed by Climate Change, but Hasn’t Embraced Reducing Carbon Emissions
- ‘This Is Not Normal.’ New Air Monitoring Reveals Hazards in This Maine City.
- Zendaya’s Fashion Emergency Has Stylist Law Roach Springing Into Action
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- This Is the Only Lip Product You Need in Your Bag This Summer
- Selma Blair, Sarah Michelle Gellar and More React to Shannen Doherty's Cancer Update
- Why Khloe Kardashian Doesn’t Feel “Complete Bond” With Son Tatum Thompson
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- They Built a Life in the Shadow of Industrial Tank Farms. Now, They’re Fighting for Answers.
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Jessica Alba Praises Her and Cash Warren’s “Angel” Daughter Honor in 15th Birthday Tribute
- Wendy Williams Receiving Treatment at Wellness Facility
- Woman dead, 9 injured after fireworks explosion at home in Michigan
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- War on NOAA? A Climate Denier’s Arrival Raises Fears the Agency’s Climate Mission Is Under Attack
- After Dozens of Gas Explosions, a Community Looks for Alternatives to Natural Gas
- All-transgender and nonbinary hockey team offers players a found family on ice
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
Man in bulletproof vest fatally shoots 5, injures 2 in Philadelphia; suspect in custody
100% Renewable Energy: Cleveland Sets a Big Goal as It Sheds Its Fossil Fuel Past
They Built a Life in the Shadow of Industrial Tank Farms. Now, They’re Fighting for Answers.
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Vanessa and Nick Lachey Taking Much Needed Family Time With Their 3 Kids
China’s Dramatic Solar Shift Could Take Sting Out of Trump’s Panel Tariffs
Jana Kramer Is Pregnant with Baby No. 3, Her First With Fiancé Allan Russell