Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|2 women killed by Elias Huizar were his ex-wife and 17-year-old he had baby with: Police -BeyondProfit Compass
Algosensey|2 women killed by Elias Huizar were his ex-wife and 17-year-old he had baby with: Police
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 11:46:56
Police have Algosenseyidentified the two women allegedly killed by a former Washington police officer who set off an Amber Alert this week after fleeing with his 1-year-old son across state lines.
Elias Huizar, a former Yakima, Washington police officer, shot himself in the head at the end of the pursuit on I-5 in Oregon. The child, identified as 1-year-old Roman Santos, was found in the back seat unharmed and was taken safely into police custody.
In a press conference held Wednesday, the West Richland Police Department identified the two women who were killed as Amber Rodriguez, Huizar's ex-wife, who investigators believe he fatally shot outside of the elementary school where she taught before fleeing from officers, and Angelica Santos, his 17-year-old girlfriend and Roman's mother.
Huizar has been charged with Rodriguez's death. Police said Santos' death remains under investigation, pending an autopsy.
The motive, timeline of the deaths and the investigation into the case continues, West Richland Police Chief Thomas Grego said in a press conference.
Huizar, 39, met Santos when he was a school resource officer at her middle school, where he was accused of raping and impregnating her, police said.
Deputy killed:Pickup truck hits and kills longtime Texas deputy helping at crash site
Elias Huizar previously issued no-contact order, court docs state
Court documents filed in Benton County Superior Court in Washington said Huizar appeared in court on Feb. 15 and entered a not guilty plea on charges he had allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager while she was sleeping in his home, according to NBC News. Another teenager had reportedly witnessed the incident, according to NBC.
Huizar was released after posting a $200,000 bond, according to reporting in the Tri-City Herald. The article, citing court documents, said police started investigating the incident after Huizar's "17-year-old girlfriend, their 9-month-old son and her teenage friend" approached Benton County Sheriff's Office deputies on Feb. 3.
No-contact orders were issued for the victims in the case and Huizer was ordered not to go within 1,000 feet of their schools, homes or workplaces, a ruling that could have prevented Huizar from seeing his own child, according to the report, which cited statements made by a prosecuting attorney during a February court hearing.
veryGood! (34)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- It was unique debut season for 212 MLB players during pandemic-altered 2020
- A man is fatally shot by officers years after police tried to steer him away from crime
- David Beckham shares what Lionel Messi wanted the most from his move to MLS
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- The politics of immigration play differently along the US-Mexico border
- S&P 500, Dow hit record highs after Fed cuts rates. What it means for your 401(k).
- The Daily Money: How the Fed cut affects consumers
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Were warning signs ignored? Things to know about this week’s testimony on the Titan sub disaster
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Police chase in NYC, Long Island ends with driver dead and 7 officers, civilian taken to hospitals
- 'Golden Bachelorette': Gil Ramirez's temporary restraining order revelation prompts show removal
- Phillies torch Mets to clinch third straight playoff berth with NL East title in sight
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Spotted: The Original Cast of Gossip Girl Then vs. Now
- Caitlin Clark rewrites WNBA record book: Inside look at rookie's amazing season
- Martha Stewart says 'unfriendly' Ina Garten stopped talking to her when she went to prison
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Robinson will not appear at Trump’s North Carolina rally after report on alleged online comments
Secret Service report details communication failures preceding July assassination attempt on Trump
Youngest NFL players: Jets RB Braelon Allen tops list for 2024
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Jessie Bates ready to trash talk Travis Kelce Sunday night using Taylor Swift
How to recognize the signs and prevent abuse in youth sports
Is Isaac Wilson related to Zach Wilson? Utah true freshman QB starts vs Oklahoma State