Current:Home > MarketsKevin Porter barred from Houston Rockets after domestic violence arrest in New York -BeyondProfit Compass
Kevin Porter barred from Houston Rockets after domestic violence arrest in New York
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:00:05
HOUSTON (AP) — The Houston Rockets have told Kevin Porter Jr. that he cannot be with the team in any capacity in the wake of his domestic violence arrest last month.
Porter was arrested after an alleged attack on his former WNBA player girlfriend Kysre Gondrezick in a New York City hotel room Sept. 11. Prosecutors said that the attack left her with a fractured neck vertebra and a deep cut above her right eye.
The 23-year-old Porter has pleaded not guilty to felony assault and strangulation and is due back in court in Manhattan on Oct. 16.
“The allegations against him are deeply troubling,” general manager Rafael Stone said at Houston’s media day Monday. “Going back a few weeks, as soon as I heard the allegations, I informed his representatives that he could not be part of the Houston Rockets. They understood and he has not been with the team or around the team or had any interaction with the team since that time and will not be at media day today or in training camp.”
Stone said that aside from that, everything else related to Porter and his situation fall under the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement and will be handled by the league.
“What’s left for the team to do is to evaluate the best steps for our organization that remain in compliance with the league domestic violence policy,” Stone said.
Porter signed a four-year, $82.5 million contract with the Rockets before last season and was expected to be a big part of the team as Houston looks to return to contention after several dreadful seasons. Stone was asked if he believes Porter will ever be part of the team again.
“I can’t answer that and stay in compliance with the policy,” Stone said. “So I think this is now a league matter.”
Last year, Porter averaged 19.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists per game in his third year in Houston after one season in Cleveland.
While his talent is undeniable, his NBA career has been more noteworthy for his problems off the court.
In November 2020, while playing for the Cavaliers, Porter was arrested after police said they found a loaded handgun and marijuana in his car after a single-vehicle crash. Porter claimed he didn’t know the gun was there, and his charges were eventually dismissed.
Porter, a 2019 first-round draft pick from the University of Southern California, was traded from Cleveland to Houston a few months later after he reportedly blew up at the Cavaliers’ general manager after finding out that his locker had been moved to make room for a newly acquired player.
In April 2021, the NBA fined Porter $50,000 for violating the league’s COVID-19 health and safety rules by visiting a Miami strip club. In January 2022, the Rockets suspended Porter for a game after then-coach Stephen Silas said the player had a “spirited debate” and “lost his temper” at halftime.
Stone was asked if the Rockets knew of any unpublicized problems in his past before signing him to the extension.
“There weren’t any issues like this that I’m aware of,” Stone said.
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/nba
veryGood! (86438)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- 16 dead, 36 injured after bus carrying Venezuelan migrants crashes in Mexico
- Amputees can get their body parts back for spiritual reasons, new Oregon law says
- Notre Dame vs. Navy in Ireland: Game time, how to watch, series history and what to know
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Workers in Disney World district criticize DeSantis appointees’ decision to eliminate free passes
- Elon Musk spars with actor James Woods over X's blocking feature
- Opponents are unimpressed as a Georgia senator revives a bill regulating how schools teach gender
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Texas defends border buoys at hearing over Justice Department lawsuit
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Former USC star Reggie Bush plans defamation lawsuit against NCAA
- Colorado man accused of killing 10 at supermarket in 2021 is competent for trial, prosecutors say
- Montana woman sentenced to life in prison for torturing and killing her 12-year-old grandson
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- AGT's Howie Mandel Jokes Sofía Vergara Is In the Market Amid Joe Manganiello Divorce
- Oklahoma schools head takes aim at Tulsa district. Critics say his motives are politically driven
- Former USC star Reggie Bush plans defamation lawsuit against NCAA
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Cargo plane crash kills 2 near central Maine airport
Fit for Tony Stark: Powerball winner’s California mansion once listed at $88 million
Rudy Giuliani surrenders at Fulton County Jail for Georgia RICO charges
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Turtle Salmonella outbreak? CDC warns the pets may be responsible as 11 states report cases
FDA says to stop using 2 eye drop products because of serious health risks
Defining Shownu X Hyungwon: MONSTA X members reflect on sub-unit debut, music and identity