Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030 -BeyondProfit Compass
Charles H. Sloan-California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 07:44:19
SAN LUIS OBISPO,Charles H. Sloan Calif. (AP) — California energy regulators voted Thursday to allow the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant to operate for an additional five years, despite calls from environmental groups to shut it down.
The California Public Utilities Commission agreed to extend the shutdown date for the state’s last functioning nuclear power facility through 2030 instead of closing it in 2025 as previously agreed.
Separately, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will consider whether to extend the plant’s operating licenses.
The twin reactors, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, began operating in the mid-1980s. They supply up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
The Public Utilities Commission’s decision marks the latest development in a long fight over the operation and safety of the plant, which sits on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean.
In August, a state judge rejected a lawsuit filed by Friends of the Earth that sought to block Pacific Gas & Electric, which operates the plant, from seeking to extend its operating life.
And in October, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission rejected a request from environmental groups to immediately shut down one of two reactors.
PG&E agreed in 2016 to shutter the plant by 2025, but at the direction of the state changed course and now intends to seek a longer operating run for the plant, which doesn’t produce greenhouse gases that can contribute to climate change.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who once was a leading voice to close the plant, said last year that Diablo Canyon’s power is needed beyond 2025 to ward off possible blackouts as California transitions to solar and other renewable energy sources.
Activists condemned the extension and noted that the projected costs of continuing to run the aging plant are expected to top $6 billion.
“This ill-conceived decision will further escalate financial strain on California ratepayers and extend the threat of a catastrophe at Diablo Canyon,” said Ken Cook, president of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group.
“With California’s annual renewable energy additions exceeding Diablo Canyon’s output, there is zero reason to keep it running,” he added in a statement.
veryGood! (79)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- 50* biggest NFL draft busts of last 50 years: Trey Lance, other 2021 QBs already infamous
- Nevada Supreme Court rulings hand setbacks to gun-right defenders and anti-abortion activists
- Lawsuit filed over new Kentucky law aimed at curbing youth vaping
- Sam Taylor
- Missouri lawmakers back big expansion of low-interest loans amid growing demand for state aid
- 911 outages reported in 4 states as emergency call services go down temporarily
- 'Fortnight' with Post Malone is lead single, video off Taylor Swift's 'Tortured Poets'
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Meghan Markle’s Suits Reunion With Abigail Spencer Will Please the Court
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Baltimore Ravens WR Zay Flowers cleared by NFL after investigation
- Ryan Reynolds Makes Rare Comment About His and Blake Lively's Daughter James
- Ryan Reynolds Makes Rare Comment About His and Blake Lively's Daughter James
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Florida will open schools to volunteer chaplains
- Cheryl Burke recalls 'Dancing With the Stars' fans making her feel 'too fat for TV'
- Nelly and Ashanti’s Baby Bump Reveal Is Just a Dream
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Most student loan borrowers have delayed major life events due to debt, recent poll says
Most student loan borrowers have delayed major life events due to debt, recent poll says
Ex-youth center resident testifies that counselor went from trusted father figure to horrific abuser
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Prince William returns to official duties following Princess Kate's cancer revelation: Photos
They got pregnant with 'Ozempic babies' and quit the drug cold turkey. Then came the side effects.
Chipotle hockey jersey day: How to score BOGO deal Monday for start of 2024 NHL playoffs