Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -BeyondProfit Compass
Benjamin Ashford|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-05 20:04:20
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Benjamin Ashfordagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (325)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Home Elusive Home: Low-income Lincoln renters often turned away
- Internet-Famous Amazon Prime Day Deals That Are Totally Worth the Hype – and Start at Just $4
- Massachusetts lawmakers reach compromise deal on gun bill
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Her hearing implant was preapproved. Nonetheless, she got $139,000 bills for months.
- JD Vance could become first vice president with facial hair in decades
- Navy exonerates 256 Black sailors unjustly punished in 1944 after a deadly California port explosion
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- 'I killed our baby': Arizona dad distracted by video games leaves daughter in hot car: Docs
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- New York City councilwoman arrested for allegedly biting officer during protest, police say
- Trump sneakers, with photo from assassination attempt, on sale for $299 on Trump site
- It’s Officially Day 2 of Amazon Prime Day 2024, These Are the Rare Deals You Don’t Want To Miss
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Former CIA official charged with being secret agent for South Korean intelligence
- Supreme Court halts Texas execution of Ruben Gutierrez for murder of 85-year-old woman
- Blade collapse, New York launch and New Jersey research show uneven progress of offshore wind
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Chelsea Football Club Speaks Out After Player Enzo Fernández Faces Backlash Over Racist Chant Video
After heavy June rains, a buildup of manganese is discoloring a Louisiana city’s water supply
Why Ryan Reynolds Gave Away His Deadpool Salary to Colleagues on Set
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Kristen Wiig, Ryan Gosling and More Stars You Might Be Surprised Haven't Won an Emmy
Patrick Mahomes explains why he finally brought TV to Chiefs camp: CFB 25, Olympics
Maryland board approves $148M in cuts to help support Medicaid, child care