Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge -BeyondProfit Compass
PredictIQ-FBI boards ship in Baltimore managed by same company as the Dali, which toppled bridge
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 10:56:24
Federal agents on PredictIQSaturday were on board a container ship in the Port of Baltimore that is managed by the same company as the ship that toppled the Francis Scott Key Bridge earlier this year, authorities confirmed.
"The Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Criminal Investigation Division and Coast Guard Investigative Services are present aboard the Maersk Saltoro conducting court authorized law enforcement activity," Angelina Thompson, a spokesperson with the U.S. District Attorney's Office for the District of Maryland, told USA TODAY in a statement.
The Saltoro is managed by Synergy Marine Group, the same company that managed the Dali, which on March 26 crashed into the bridge, causing it to fall into the Patapsco River. Six people who were working on the bridge were killed in the disaster, which also stalled operations in the Port of Baltimore.
The Washington Post reported that its reporters saw the ship enter the harbor early Saturday morning and federal agents waiting in a line on the dock outside the ship.
It's not clear whether the move on Saturday is related to the ongoing investigation of the bridge collapse, and the agencies said they would not comment further. Synergy Marine Group did not return requests for comment on Saturday.
US government sues Dali owners
Earlier this week, the Department of Justice filed a civil claim for $103 million against Synergy Marine Private Limited and Grace Ocean Private Limited, the Dali's owner, to recover the money spent responding to the crash and clearing debris so the port could reopen in June.
The suit also includes an unspecified amount for punitive damages. The DOJ accused the two companies of negligence.
"This was an entirely avoidable catastrophe, resulting from a series of eminently foreseeable errors made by the owner and operator of the Dali," Brian Boynton, who heads the Justice Department's Civil Division, said in a statement.
The Dali lost power twice before it left the Port of Baltimore, according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board. The two companies that own and operate the Dali earlier filed a motion to limit their legal liability, which the city of Baltimore has opposed.
The companies said in a statement that the claims were anticipated, and "we do look forward to our day in court to set the record straight."
The families of the six men killed when the bridge tumbled into the water, the company that employed the workers and a survivor of the collapse have also filed claims against the companies in advance of a Sept. 24 deadline.
Contributing: N'dea Yancey-Bragg, USA TODAY; Reuters
veryGood! (374)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- What we know — and don't know — about the FDA-approved postpartum depression pill
- Even Zoom wants its workers back in the office: 'A hybrid approach'
- How deep should I go when discussing a contentious job separation? Ask HR
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Maryland detectives plead for video and images taken near popular trail after body found believed to be missing mother Rachel Morin
- The FAA asks the FBI to consider criminal charges against 22 more unruly airline passengers
- July was Earth's hottest month ever recorded, EU climate service says, warning of dire consequences
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Campbell Soup shells out $2.7B for popular pasta sauces in deal with Sovos Brands
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Donald Trump wants his election subversion trial moved out of Washington. That won’t be easy
- A longshot Republican is entering the US Senate race in Wisconsin against Sen. Tammy Baldwin
- Abortion rights to be decided at the ballot box after Ohio voters reject Issue 1
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Rollin': Auburn says oak trees at Toomer's Corner can be rolled
- Selena Gomez and Sister Gracie Dance the Night Away at BFF Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour
- It’s very windy and dry in Hawaii. Strong gusts complicate wildfires and prompt evacuations
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
What is ALS? Experts explain symptoms to look out for, causes and treatments
A Tree Grows in Birmingham
3 men charged with assault in Montgomery, Alabama, boating brawl that went viral
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Rollin': Auburn says oak trees at Toomer's Corner can be rolled
A longshot Republican is entering the US Senate race in Wisconsin against Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Singer and songwriter Sixto Rodriguez, subject of ‘Searching for Sugarman’ documentary, dies at 81