Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Federal government to roll back oversight on Alabama women’s prison after nine years -BeyondProfit Compass
Fastexy:Federal government to roll back oversight on Alabama women’s prison after nine years
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:12:59
MONTGOMERY,Fastexy Ala. (AP) — The federal government will roll back almost all oversight over an Alabama women’s prison on Thursday, according to court filings, nine years after the Department of Justice found chronic sexual abuse at the facility and accused the state of violating the constitutional rights of incarcerated women.
The Alabama Department of Corrections announced on Thursday that the federal government would terminate 38 of the 44 provisions of the 2015 consent decree with the Julia Tutwiler Prison in Wetumpka, Alabama. The consent decree outlined the steps that the prison needed to take to prevent rampant sexual violence and initiated federal oversight.
Court filings said that the provisions were terminated as the result of the “State’s sustained, substantial compliance with a majority of the provisions of the Consent Decree.”
“I am thankful for the men and women who are dedicated to our mission at Tutwiler,” said Alabama Department of Corrections Commissioner John Hamm in a news release. Hamm added that the move “is a credit to our entire team and their dedication to our department and our state. We look forward to ending all court oversight of Tutwiler in the near future.”
In January 2014, the Justice Department issued a notice of findings letter that documented decades of violence at the prison, and alleged conditions violated constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishment.
“For nearly two decades, Tutwiler staff have harmed women in their care with impunity by sexually abusing and sexually harassing them,” the 2014 report said.
Over a year later, the Alabama Department of Corrections entered a settlement with the Department of Justice that established regular oversight over the facility through the consent decree.
The court documents released on Thursday said that the prison achieved “substantial compliance” with all 44 of the provisions outlined in the consent decree but remained only in “partial compliance” with the provisions regarding adequate staffing.
The Justice Department has previously called the Alabama prison system overall one of the most understaffed and violent in the country.
In July, Justice Department officials filed a statement of interest in a 2014 lawsuit filed by inmates at St. Clair Correctional Facility.
In 2020 the federal government filed a separate lawsuit over conditions in Alabama’s statewide prison system, citing widespread inmate-on-inmate violence and excessive force at the hands of prison staff.
The lawsuit alleges that conditions are so poor that they violate the ban on cruel and unusual punishment and that state officials are “deliberately indifferent” to the problems.
The Alabama Department of Corrections has disputed the allegations in both cases.
___
Safiyah Riddle is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (4896)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- 'Struggler' is Genesis Owusu's bold follow-up to his hit debut album
- Sienna Miller Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 2
- King Charles III carries on legacy of mother Queen Elizabeth II with Balmoral Castle ceremony
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- How long does heat exhaustion last? What to know about the heat-related illness.
- Soccer Player Olga Carmona Learns of Her Dad’s Death After Scoring Winning Goal in World Cup Final
- Eric Decker Strips Down in Support of Wife Jessie James Decker’s Latest Venture
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Rihanna Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 2 With A$AP Rocky
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Nissan recalls 236,000 Sentras for problem that could cause loss of steering control
- Video, pictures of Hilary aftermath in Palm Springs show unprecedented flooding and rain damage from storm
- 14 people were shot, one fatally, in the same Milwaukee neighborhood, police say
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Tropical Storm Hilary moves on from California, leaving a trail of damage and debris
- Global food security is at crossroads as rice shortages and surging prices hit the most vulnerable
- Nissan recalls 236,000 Sentras for problem that could cause loss of steering control
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Full transcript of Face the Nation, August 20, 2023
3 deaths linked to listeria in milkshakes sold at Washington restaurant
Las Vegas declares state of emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Hilary's impact
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
He won $3 million in a lottery draw on his birthday. He didn't find out for a month.
Three years after a foiled plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor, the final trial is set to begin
Divisive Thai ex-Prime Minister Thaksin returns from exile as party seeks to form new government