Current:Home > MyEthermac|North Carolina WR Tez Walker can play in 2023 after NCAA grants transfer waiver -BeyondProfit Compass
Ethermac|North Carolina WR Tez Walker can play in 2023 after NCAA grants transfer waiver
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 10:52:18
The EthermacTez Walker-NCAA saga may be over, as the North Carolina receiver will be granted a transfer waiver that will make him eligible to play the remainder of the 2023 season.
The NCAA said it received new information regarding Walker's eligibility this week, which made him qualify for the waiver. The NCAA also said the information wasn't previously made available by the Tar Heels "despite the school's multiple chances to do so."
"It is unfortunate that UNC failed to provide this important information previously. While we must be careful not to compromise a student-athlete's right to privacy when it comes to sensitive issues, we want to assure the Division I membership and everyone watching how the new transfer rules are applied, that this meets the new transfer waiver standards," NCAA president Charlie Baker and Division I Board of Directors chair Jere Morehead said in a statement.
Tez Walker-NCAA saga
The decision comes nearly a month after Walker was ruled ineligible for the season after transferring from Kent State. Walker announced his transfer to his home state in December to be closer to his ailing grandmother, but he was deemed ineligible and missed North Carolina's first four games. The prior decision drew outrage from head coach Mack Brown, who infamously wrote in a letter, "Shame on you, NCAA. SHAME ON YOU!"
After Brown's outburst, the NCAA ripped the Tar Heels for the public outrage, saying some committee members faced threats. In the announcement on Thursday, the NCAA once again took a shot at North Carolina, putting the blame on them for Walker's prior eligibility status.
"UNC's behavior and decision to wage a public relations campaign is inappropriate and outside the bounds of the process UNC's own staff supported. Had the UNC staff not behaved in this fashion and submitted this information weeks ago, this entire unfortunate episode could have been avoided," Baker and Morehead said.
'See everyone on Saturday'
Brown said in a statement Thursday "we were thrilled" to learn Walker was eligible, and thanked the NCAA for its co-operation.
"Everything that's transpired over the last few months has been with the sole purpose of helping and supporting him, and now he's going to have a chance to live his dream," Brown said. "We want to express our gratitude to the people at UNC who have worked tirelessly to assist Tez. We never gave up. We also wanted to thank the NCAA for being willing to re-examine Tez's case, and ultimately deciding to grant him his eligibility."
Walker said he's excited to play for the Tar Heels this season as he has received support from the university and fans since the initial decision. He indicated he will be available for North Carolina's home game against Syracuse this weekend.
"I can't wait to put on that jersey, run out of the tunnel, and play in Kenan Stadium. I've been dreaming of this for a long time and now it will be a reality. See everyone on Saturday," Walker said.
veryGood! (3333)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Drake Fires Back at Weirdos Criticizing His Friendship With Millie Bobby Brown
- ‘Priscilla’ movie doesn’t shy away from Elvis age gap: She was 'a child playing dress-up’
- Six basketball blue bloods have made AP Top 25 history ... in the college football poll
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- NASCAR playoffs: Where the Cup drivers stand as the Round of 8 begins
- A healing culture: Alaska Natives use tradition to battle influx of drugs, addiction
- Hamas attacks in Israel: Airlines that have suspended flights amid a travel advisory
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Carlos Correa stars against former team as Twins beat Astros in Game 2 to tie ALDS
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Kenyan man shatters world record at the 2023 Chicago Marathon
- Food Network Star Michael Chiarello Dead at 61
- The Marines are moving gradually and sometimes reluctantly to integrate women and men in boot camp
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Bill Belichick's reign over the NFL is officially no more as Patriots hit rock bottom
- 150-year-old Florida Keys lighthouse illuminated for first time in a decade
- Schools’ pandemic spending boosted tech companies. Did it help US students?
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
California Gov. Gavin Newsom vetoes bill to make free condoms available for high school students
‘Priscilla’ movie doesn’t shy away from Elvis age gap: She was 'a child playing dress-up’
Investigators: Pilot error was cause of 2021 plane crash that killed 4 in Michigan
What to watch: O Jolie night
Gates Foundation funding $40 million effort to help develop mRNA vaccines in Africa in coming years
Dolphins WR Tyreek Hill penalized for giving football to his mom after scoring touchdown
Horoscopes Today, October 7, 2023