Current:Home > NewsSpecial counsel turns over first batch of classified material to Trump in documents case -BeyondProfit Compass
Special counsel turns over first batch of classified material to Trump in documents case
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 07:09:51
Washington — Special counsel Jack Smith has turned over to former President Donald Trump and his lawyers the first batch of classified materials as part of the discovery process in the case over the former president's handling of sensitive government records after he left the White House.
In a filing on Thursday, Smith and his team notified U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon that they had made their first production of classified discovery on Wednesday, the same day Cannon issued a protective order pertaining to the classified information disclosed to Trump and his lawyers in the lead-up to the trial set to begin in May.
Prosecutors said that some of the sensitive material can be viewed by Trump's lawyers who have received interim clearances, but other documents require them to have "final clearances with additional necessary read-ins into various compartments." Highly classified information is often "compartmentalized" to limit the number of officials who have access to it.
The material included in the first batch includes the documents bearing classification markings that were stored at Mar-a-Lago, Trump's South Florida property, and other classified information "generated or obtained in the government's investigation," like reports and transcripts of witness interviews.
Prosecutors said they anticipate turning over more classified material.
The report states that the Justice Department has given five batches of unclassified material to Trump and his two co-defendants, Walt Nauta and Carlos De Oliveira, so far. Prosecutors said they will hand more unclassified witness material on a "rolling basis," as well as agent communications. The five tranches total roughly 1.28 million pages of documents, Smith's team said, and were handed over between late June and the beginning of September.
The Justice Department has also provided what Trump and his co-defendants estimate is more than 3,700 days, or over 10 years, of surveillance footage. Prosecutors dispute that tally and said their estimate is "roughly half of these numbers."
"The Government represents that, at this time, it has produced all search warrants and the filtered, scoped returns; all witness memorialization in the Special Counsel Office's possession as of our most recent production (September 1, 2023); all grand jury testimony; and all CCTV footage obtained in the Government's investigation," lawyers with the special counsel's office wrote.
The former president has been charged with 40 counts related to his alleged mishandling of classified documents that were recovered from Mar-a-Lago after he left office in January 2021. Thirty-two of the charges against Trump are for willful retention of national defense information relating to specific documents with classification markings that the government says it retrieved from his South Florida property in 2022.
Nauta, an aide to Trump, faces a total of eight counts and De Oliveira, the property manager at Mar-a-Lago, is charged with four counts. All three, Trump, Nauta and De Oliveira, pleaded not guilty to all charges filed against them.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Winners and losers of 'Hard Knocks' with the Jets: Aaron Rodgers, Robert Saleh stand out
- Hit in DNA database exonerates man 47 years after wrongful rape conviction
- 'Face to Face' is a murder mystery that lives up to the tradition of Nordic Noir
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Coco Gauff takes the reins of her tennis career, but her parents remain biggest supporters
- Tom Brady Reveals His and Gisele Bündchen's Son Ben Is Following in His Football Footsteps
- Will he go by plane or train? How Kim Jong Un may travel to Russia for another meeting with Putin
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Japan launches rocket carrying X-ray telescope to explore origins of universe, lunar lander
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Tom Brady will toss passes for Delta Air Lines. The retired quarterback will be a strategic adviser
- Maryland officer suspended after video shows him enter back seat of police car with woman
- Will he go by plane or train? How Kim Jong Un may travel to Russia for another meeting with Putin
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- E. Jean Carroll wins partial summary judgment in 2019 defamation case against Trump
- The Biden Administration is ending drilling leases in ANWR, at least for now
- Aerosmith kicks off Peace Out farewell tour in Philadelphia
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Poccoin: Debt Stalemate and Banking Crisis Eased, Boosting Market Sentiment, Cryptocurrency Bull Market Intensifies
Kristin Chenoweth marries musician Josh Bryant
Burning Man 2023: See photos of thousands of people leaving festival in Black Rock Desert
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
2 teens killed by upstate New York sheriff’s deputy who shot into their vehicle
Poccoin: Debt Stalemate and Banking Crisis Eased, Boosting Market Sentiment, Cryptocurrency Bull Market Intensifies
3 dead at Minnesota's Breezy Point Resort; police investigate deaths