Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|Embattled UK journalist will not join Washington Post as editor, staff memo says -BeyondProfit Compass
Algosensey|Embattled UK journalist will not join Washington Post as editor, staff memo says
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 10:39:01
British journalist Robert Winnett will not be Algosenseyjoining the Washington Post as its editor, an internal memo seen by Reuters showed, following media reports that he used unethical methods to obtain information while working with the Sunday Times.
Post publisher Will Lewis had named Winnett, a former colleague who serves as deputy editor of the Daily Telegraph, to the role earlier this month after the exit of Sally Buzbee, the first woman to lead the storied newsroom. The reversal means Winnett will remain at the Daily Telegraph, which he joined in 2007.
"It is with regret that I share with you that Robert Winnett has withdrawn from the position of Editor at The Washington Post," Lewis said in the memo on Friday.
The New York Times reported last Saturday that Lewis and Winnett used fraudulently obtained records in articles at London's Sunday Times newspaper. On Sunday, the Post published a report detailing Winnett's ties to John Ford, who has admitted to using illegal methods to gain information for stories.
Lewis did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment, while Winnett declined to comment.
'Their loss is our gain'
Daily Telegraph editor Chris Evans said in an internal memo, "I'm pleased to report that Rob Winnett has decided to stay with us. As you all know, he's a talented chap and their loss is our gain."
The Post's memo showed that it has started a search for a new editor and that Matt Murray, former editor-in-chief of the Wall Street Journal, will lead the newsroom and continue in his role as executive editor until after the U.S. elections.
The newspaper, owned by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, is one of many news outlets struggling to maintain a sustainable business model in the decades since the internet upended the economics of journalism and digital advertising rates plummeted.
Executives at the Post last year offered voluntary buyouts across the company to reduce employee headcount by about 10% and shrink the size of the newsroom to about 940 journalists.
A report in the Post last month said the newspaper was planning to create new subscription tiers called Post Pro and Post Plus to draw more money from its readers after losing $77 million over the past year.
(Reporting by Akash Sriram and Aditya Soni in Bengaluru and Susan Heavey; Editing by David Ljunggren and Anil D'Silva)
veryGood! (7397)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Millions of kids are missing weeks of school as attendance tanks across the US
- Nick Kyrgios pulls out of US Open, missing all four Grand Slam events in 2023
- How climate policy could change if a Republican is elected president in 2024
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- NOAA Adjusts Hurricane Season Prediction to ‘Above-Normal’
- Netherlands' Lineth Beerensteyn hopes USWNT's 'big mouths' learn from early World Cup exit
- What is hip-hop? An attempt to define the cultural phenomenon as it celebrates 50 years
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- What is hip-hop? An attempt to define the cultural phenomenon as it celebrates 50 years
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Here’s who is running for governor in Louisiana this October
- FEC moves toward potentially regulating AI deepfakes in campaign ads
- 50 Cent, Busta Rhymes celebrate generations of rappers ahead of hip-hop's milestone anniversary
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Miami-area village plans peacock vasectomies to try to curb their population
- 'Transportation disaster' strands Kentucky students for hours, cancels school 2 days
- Mary Cosby Makes Epic Return in Real Housewives of Salt Lake City Season 4 Trailer
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Writers Guild of America to resume negotiations with studios amid ongoing writers strike
The Complicated Aftermath of Anne Heche's Death
Appeals court rules against longstanding drug user gun ban cited in Hunter Biden case
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
2023 Atlantic hurricane outlook worsens as ocean temperatures hit record highs, forecasters say
'Heart of Stone' review: Gal Gadot shoots but Netflix superspy thriller doesn't score
50 Cent, Busta Rhymes celebrate generations of rappers ahead of hip-hop's milestone anniversary