Current:Home > ContactRekubit-A third man is now charged with murder in the Kansas City Super Bowl rally shooting -BeyondProfit Compass
Rekubit-A third man is now charged with murder in the Kansas City Super Bowl rally shooting
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:10:06
A third man was charged with second-degree murder Thursday in connection with the shooting during the Kansas City Chiefs’ Super Bowl rally that killed a woman and Rekubitinjured nearly two dozen others.
The 20-year-old from Kansas City, Missouri, was also charged with unlawful use of a weapon and two counts of armed criminal action. He is jailed on $1 million bond and doesn’t yet have an attorney.
Lyndell Mays and Dominic Miller were also charged with second-degree murder and several weapons counts soon after the Feb. 14 shooting at a parade attended by an estimated 1 million people as Kansas City celebrated the Chiefs’ second straight Super Bowl win. Two juveniles are also in custody, and three other men face gun-related and resisting arrest charges, accused of illegal purchase of high-powered rifles and guns with extended magazines, including weapons used at the rally.
Jackson County Prosecuting Attorney Jean Peters Baker said the investigation has reached an important milestone.
“Everyone we’ve identified who discharged a firearm in response to the verbal altercation detailed here has been taken into custody,” she said in a statement.
Though all of the suspected shooters are accounted for, Baker said additional charges are expected.
Police and prosecutors have said the gunfire broke out when one group of people confronted another for staring at them. Authorities have said a bullet from Miller’s gun killed Lisa Lopez-Galvan, who was in a nearby crowd of people watching the rally. She was a mother of two and the host of a local radio program called “Taste of Tejano.” The people injured range in age from 8 to 47, police said.
The latest man charged and two others approached someone in the other group, and an argument broke out, according to a probable cause statement. When someone else pulled out a gun, the man pulled out his own weapon, the document stated. Surveillance video showed him appearing to shoot several times.
The man’s social media postings showed him wearing the same distinctive backpack seen in the surveillance video, and his phone data showed the device was in the area of the shooting when it happened, according to Baker and the probable cause statement.
Court documents unsealed earlier this month said 12 people brandished firearms and at least six people fired weapons at the rally. The guns found at the scene included at least two AR-style rifles, court documents said. U.S. Attorney Teresa Moore has said at least two of the guns recovered from the scene were illegally purchased.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Google plans to invest $2 billion to build data center in northeast Indiana, officials say
- Nixon Advisers’ Climate Research Plan: Another Lost Chance on the Road to Crisis
- Worried about a 2025 COLA? This is the smallest cost-of-living adjustment Social Security ever paid.
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Jimmie Allen Details Welcoming Twins With Another Woman Amid Alexis Gale Divorce
- United Methodist Church moves closer to enabling regional decisions, paving the way for LGBTQ rights within church
- Biden officials indefinitely postpone ban on menthol cigarettes amid election-year pushback
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Panthers owner David Tepper pays visit to bar with sign teasing his NFL draft strategy
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Harvey Weinstein's conviction tossed in stunning reversal. What does it mean for #MeToo?
- Former NFL Player Korey Cunningham Dead at Age 28
- These are the countries where TikTok is already banned
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- What to watch and read this weekend from Zendaya's 'Challengers' movie to new Emily Henry
- Former Rep. Peter Meijer ends his longshot bid for the GOP nomination in Michigan’s Senate race
- Reggie Bush calls for accountability after long battle to reclaim Heisman Trophy
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Judge upholds disqualification of challenger to judge in Trump’s Georgia election interference case
EQT Says Fracked Gas Is a Climate Solution, but Scientists Call That Deceptive Greenwashing
76ers All-Star center Joel Embiid says he has Bell’s palsy
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
King Charles III Returning to Public Duties After Cancer Diagnosis
Ariel Henry resigns as prime minister of Haiti, paving the way for a new government to take power
Wade Rousse named new president of Louisiana’s McNeese State University