Current:Home > NewsUN dramatically revises down death toll from Libya floods amid chaotic response -BeyondProfit Compass
UN dramatically revises down death toll from Libya floods amid chaotic response
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:09:51
The United Nations has dramatically revised down its death toll from disastrous floods in eastern Libya after conflicting information from different government officials and aid agencies -- a sign of the chaotic response on the ground in a divided country.
As of Monday evening, the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said the number of fatalities was 3,958 and that more than 9,000 people remain missing.
The Libyan Red Crescent previously reported that 11,300 people had died from the flooding in eastern Libya, and the U.N. was originally using that figure but changed course on Sunday to instead go with the World Health Organization's estimate of 3,958 deaths.
MORE: Here's how to provide assistance to the flood victims in Libya
The International Committee of the Red Cross said it was difficult to provide an exact tally of casualties.
"We don't want to speculate about the numbers," ICRC spokesperson Bashir Saleh told ABC News on Monday. "We don't have the final figures. I think we need to wait for the rescue operations to end and then we would have the final figures."
Eastern Libya's Health Minister Othman Abduljaleel said at least 3,283 bodies were buried as of Sunday night without specifying how many had been recovered in total. He said the death toll was "on the rise every day" and that "many bodies remain in the sea or under the rubble."
The death toll has been a moving target since Mediterranean storm Daniel pummelled Libya on Sept. 10, triggering widespread flooding that broke dams and swept away entire neighborhoods along the coast in the east of the North African nation. Rescuers have been working to understand the full scope of the devastation ever since, but their efforts have been hindered by the country's current political situation.
MORE: Most casualties in Libya floods could have been avoided: World Meteorological Organization chief
Libya has lacked a central government since 2011, when an Arab Spring uprising backed by NATO toppled longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi, who was later killed. The oil-rich nation is now split between two warring governments -- one in the east and the other in the west, with each backed by various militias.
The head of the U.N.'s World Meteorological Organization, Petteri Taalas, said last Thursday that most of the flooding casualties could have been avoided if Libya had a functioning meteorological service.
Hundreds of people took part in a protest at a mosque in flood-stricken Derna on Monday, demanding that local authorities be held accountable. The northeastern port city was the worst affected and has been declared a disaster zone.
veryGood! (45)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Heisman Trophy race in college football has Michael Penix, J.J. McCarthy at the front
- 2 white boaters plead guilty to misdemeanors in Alabama riverfront brawl
- Jurors hear opposite views of whether Backpage founder knew the site was running sex ads
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Britney Spears can finally tell her own story in 'The Woman in Me'
- COVID-19 treatments to enter the market with a hefty price tag
- NFL places Kansas City Chiefs receiver Justyn Ross on Commissioner Exempt list
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- What LeBron James thinks of Lakers after shaky start and struggles with continuity
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Sharp increase in Afghans leaving Pakistan due to illegal migrant crackdown, say UN agencies
- Richard Moll, who found fame as a bailiff on the original sitcom ‘Night Court,’ dies at 80
- At least 21 dead in Kazakhstan coal mine fire
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Madonna and Britney Spears: It's them against the world
- LeBron James: Lakers 'don’t give a (crap)' about outside criticism of Anthony Davis
- City of Flagstaff bans ad for shooting range and faces accusation of unconstitutional action
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Taylor Swift becomes a billionaire with new re-recording of 1989 album
Syphilis and other STDs are on the rise. States lost millions of dollars to fight and treat them
Where you’ve seen Atlanta, dubbed the ‘Hollywood of the South,’ on screen
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
LeBron James: Lakers 'don’t give a (crap)' about outside criticism of Anthony Davis
Pete Davidson, John Mulaney postpone comedy shows in Maine after mass killing: 'Devastated'
The economy surged 4.9% in the third quarter. But is a recession still looming?