Current:Home > ContactNaomi Campbell banned from charity role for 5 years after financial investigation -BeyondProfit Compass
Naomi Campbell banned from charity role for 5 years after financial investigation
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:23:10
Naomi Campbell is barred from serving as a charity trustee for five years after a United Kingdom watchdog group found evidence of financial misconduct at the model's charity, Fashion for Relief.
The U.K.'s Charity Commission released a report Thursday, noting in a release that the charity was "poorly governed" and "had inadequate financial management."
Its investigation found the charity spent less than 9% of its earnings on grants and causes, and that some of the charity's expenses were "not reasonable." This includes a stay at a five-star hotel and security for Campbell, 54, during an event at Cannes Film Festival in 2018, as well as "spa treatments, room service, and the purchase of cigarettes."
USA TODAY has reached out to Campbell's reps for comment.
Two of Campbell's co-trustees, Bianka Hellmich and Veronica Chou, were also barred from serving as trustees for nine and four years, respectively. The Charity Commission's investigation found Hellmich received over £290,000, or over $388,000, in consultancy fees, which were unauthorized by the commission.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
The commission noted Fashion for Relief "failed to manage" partnerships with two charities: Save the Children Fund and the Mayor's Fund for London. The commission brought in interim managers to make outstanding payments to the charities totaling about £345,000, or over $460,000.
Naomi Campbell remains iconic –and shades Anna Wintour – at Harlem's Fashion Row event
"This inquiry, and the work of the interim managers we appointed to run the charity in place of the trustees, has resulted in the recovery of £344,000 and protection of a further £98,000 charitable funds," said Tim Hopkins, Charity Commission deputy director, in a released statement. "I am pleased that the inquiry has seen donations made to other charities which this charity has previously supported."
Fashion for Relief, which was officially registered in 2015, a decade after its founding, was dissolved and removed from the country's register of charities this March.
The legendary British supermodel founded Fashion For Relief in 2005, which on its website says it has "supported many important humanitarian causes," including the Ebola crisis and Hurricane Katrina, and other causes like Time's Up.
veryGood! (8235)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Joe Jonas Posts Note on Doing the Right Thing After Sophie Turner Agreement
- U.S. confirms 22 Americans dead as families reveal details of Hamas attacks in Israel
- Federal judge won’t block suspension of right to carry guns in some New Mexico parks, playgrounds
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Fired Washington sheriff’s deputy sentenced to prison for stalking wife, violating no-contact order
- New York officer fatally shoots man in fencing mask who charged police with 2 swords, police say
- Legendary editor Marty Baron describes his 'Collision of Power' with Trump and Bezos
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Astros eliminate Twins, head to seventh straight AL Championship Series
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Inside the East vs. West rap rivalry that led to the murders of Tupac and Notorious B.I.G. in 1990s
- Police have unserved warrant for Miles Bridges for violation of domestic violence protective order
- A possible Israeli ground war looms in Gaza. What weapons are wielded by those involved?
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 'Dumbest thing ever': Deion Sanders rips late kickoff, thankful Colorado is leaving Pac-12
- Makers of some menstrual product brands to repay tampon tax to shoppers
- California school board president gets death threats after Pride flag ban
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
USADA announces end of UFC partnership as Conor McGregor re-enters testing pool
Astros eliminate Twins, head to seventh straight AL Championship Series
More than 90% of people killed by western Afghanistan quake were women and children, UN says
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
After delays, California unveils first site of state tiny home project to relieve homelessness
Former agent of East Germany’s Stasi agency is charged over the 1974 border killing of a Polish man
Indigenous leader of Guatemalan protests says they are defending democracy after election