Current:Home > ContactNew Orleans priest publicly admits to sexually abusing minors -BeyondProfit Compass
New Orleans priest publicly admits to sexually abusing minors
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:17:09
After years of denial, a notorious former New Orleans church leader admitted in an interview that he sexually molested or harassed several teenagers during his career.
CBS affiliate WWL-TV in New Orleans was interviewing Lawrence Hecker with the British newspaper the Guardian about a statement he gave to New Orleans church leaders in 1999 when he made the confession.
Hecker, 91, became an ordained priest in 1958. According to a timeline compiled by WWL-TV, he used that position to abuse or harass minors over years.
In 1988, reports of his actions reached New Orleans archbishop Philip Hannan. Hecker convinced Hannan he would never again "be in any such circumstances" and faced no consequences until 1999, when continued reports against Hecker led the archdiocese to send him to a psychiatric treatment facility outside of Louisiana. There, he was diagnosed as a pedophile, and the facility recommended he be prohibited from working with minors or other "particularly vulnerable people," according to a personnel file reviewed by WWL-TV.
The 1999 complaint also led to his statement, where Hecker acknowledged committing "overtly sexual acts" with three underage boys and said he had close relationships with four others that lasted until the 1980s.
When asked if he had performed the acts laid out in the statement, Hecker told WWL-TV "Yes" twice. His admission was recorded on video.
Hecker said he was "truly repentant" and "can't answer" whether he thought law enforcement should pursue a case against him. Hecker has never been criminally prosecuted, according to WWL-TV, but he has been the subject of an investigation by the New Orleans district attorney's office.
Even after he was released from the psychiatric facility, Hecker continued to work in the church, saying that he believed he had been cleared to do such work. In 2000, he was assigned to St. Charles Borromeo in Destrehan, a small town in Louisiana. The church had an elementary school attached, WWL-TV reported.
A man recently alleged that Hecker choked and raped him. Hecker denied those allegations.
Hecker retired in 2002, after the Catholic church adopted reforms after it came to light that the institution had been protecting priests accused of molesting minors in Boston, Massachusetts.
Keith Lampkin, chief of operations and external affairs for the Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office, said Wednesday "As with all cases, the OPDA will utilize all relevant, admissible evidence of guilt to obtain justice for victims."
The fallout from Hecker's actions continued into the 2010s.
During a 10-year period beginning in 2010, the archdiocese paid at least $332,500 to reach out-of-court settlements in five cases alleging sexual abuse by Hecker, according to WWL-TV.
Despite this, the New Orleans archdiocese never told churchgoers and other members of the community what Hecker was suspected of until 2018, when a list of priests and deacons considered credibly accused predators was released under public pressure.
The archdiocese continued to pay Hecker's retirement benefits until 2020, WWL-TV said.
- In:
- New Orleans
- Sexual Abuse
- Church
- Child Abuse
- Catholic Church
- Louisiana
Kerry Breen is a news editor and reporter for CBS News. Her reporting focuses on current events, breaking news and substance use.
veryGood! (62858)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Dog named Dancer survives 60-foot fall at Michigan national park then reunites with family
- 3 Austin officers are cleared in a fatal shooting during a standoff where an officer was killed
- Are We Having Fun Yet? The Serious Business Of Having Fun
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Columnist’s lawyer warns judge that Trump hopes to ‘sow chaos’ as jury considers defamation damages
- Gucci’s new creative director plunges into menswear with slightly shimmery, subversive classics
- The Maine Potato War of 1976
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- 'True Detective' Season 4: Cast, release date, how to watch new 'Night Country' episodes
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Biden says student borrowers with smaller loans could get debt forgiveness in February. Here's who qualifies.
- Speaker Johnson insists he’s sticking to budget deal but announces no plan to stop partial shutdown
- Wait, did Florida ban the dictionary? Why one county is pulling Merriam-Webster from shelves
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- 6 Turkish soldiers killed in an attack on a base in northern Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region
- 6 Turkish soldiers killed in an attack on a base in northern Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdish region
- 3 teens face charges in Christmas Day youth facility disturbance, Albuquerque sheriff says
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
After years of delays, former New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern ties the knot
Man dies, brother survives after both fall into freezing pond while ice fishing in New York
After years of delays, former New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern ties the knot
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Navy helicopter crashes into San Diego Bay, all 6 people on board survive
'Frankly astonished': 2023 was significantly hotter than any other year on record
Ukrainian trucker involved in deadly crash wants license back while awaiting deportation