Current:Home > ContactBahrain says a third soldier has died after an attack this week by Yemeni rebels on the Saudi border -BeyondProfit Compass
Bahrain says a third soldier has died after an attack this week by Yemeni rebels on the Saudi border
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 07:21:03
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Bahrain’s military said a third soldier died of his wounds on Wednesday after an attack by Yemeni rebels on a Bahraini contingent patrolling Saudi Arabia’s southern border.
The attack on Monday, which also wounded a number of soldiers, threatened recent progress in winding down Saudi Arabia’s eight-year war against the Iran-aligned rebels, known as Houthis. The rebels have not commented on the attack.
Bahrain says the rebels launched an unprovoked drone attack on the soldiers. Bahrain and its close ally Saudi Arabia condemned the attack, and the Saudi-led military coalition said it had “the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.”
It was unclear what impact the attack would have on the ongoing peace efforts.
Yemen’s war began in 2014 when the Houthis swept down from their northern stronghold and seized the capital, Sanaa, along with much of the country’s north. A Saudi-led coalition intervened in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognized government to power.
The fighting soon devolved into a stalemated proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran, causing widespread hunger and misery in Yemen, which even before the conflict had been the Arab world’s poorest country. The war has killed more than 150,000 people, including fighters and civilians, and created one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters, killing tens of thousands more.
Saudi Arabia and Iran restored diplomatic relations earlier this year in a deal brokered by China. Earlier this month, Saudi Arabia welcomed a Houthi delegation for peace talks, saying the negotiations had “positive results.”
A U.N.-brokered cease-fire largely halted the violence, and Yemen has seen only sporadic clashes since the truce expired nearly a year ago.
Bahrain’s military announced the third death on its social media sites.
veryGood! (72)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- 85 years after a racist mob drove Opal Lee’s family away, she’s getting a new home on the same spot
- Another March Madness disappointment means it's time for Kentucky and John Calipari to part
- Republican lawmaker says Kentucky’s newly passed shield bill protects IVF services
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Prosecutors charge a South Carolina man with carjacking and the killing of a New Mexico officer
- Ariana Grande, Josh Peck and the problem with punishing child stars
- Riley Strain Dead at 22: Police Detail What Led to Discovery of Missing Student
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Princess Kate diagnosed with cancer; King Charles III, Harry and Meghan react: Live updates
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Vermont House passes a bill to restrict a pesticide that is toxic to bees
- Man pleads guilty to using sewer pipes to smuggle people between Mexico and U.S.
- Men's March Madness live updates: JMU upsets Wisconsin; TCU-Utah State battling
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- How Prince William Supported Kate Middleton Amid Cancer Diagnosis
- Colorado stuns Florida in 102-100 thriller in NCAA Tournament first round
- Iceland's latest volcanic eruption will have an impact as far as Russia
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Kate Middleton Diagnosed With Cancer: Revisiting Her Health Journey
Jack Gohlke joins ESPN's Pat McAfee after Oakland's historic March Madness win vs. Kentucky
Polling places inside synagogues are being moved for Pennsylvania’s April primary during Passover
Travis Hunter, the 2
California’s Climate Leaders Vow to Hold Fossil Fuel Companies to Account
Selena Gomez & David Henrie Have Magical Reunion in First Look at Wizards of Waverly Place Sequel
Chicago voters reject ‘mansion tax’ to fund homeless services during Illinois primary